5/26/10

Tabu in Latin America

On Sunday night, I watched a new TV program in National Geographic that really called my attention. Not only because of the theme but because of its relation with our culture.
This first program was about piercing and tattoos all over America. However the program presented people from Venezuela, Colombia and Mexico and the way they take this art as their life style.
I couldn't watched it from the beginning but I could get that someone was trying to let the viewers understand that these two activities have been part of our culture since long ago. First, they tried to explain why and how inhabitants of ancient cultures practiced. Then someone said that nowadays there are many behaviours and practices that have been distroying our culture. So, this person said that having piercing and tattoos, they can reinsert and remind the others where we came from.
I don't really like this kind of art, but I do appreciate the artists that make them. By now, I am still trying to reflect, understand and organize my ideas of why people like this art. But I really invite you to watch tomorrow night (9 o'clock) this program. It will be about Physical appearence.

No comments:

Post a Comment